Saturday 27 August 2011

Being a Passenger in England - Please Pass the Alcohol!

Ok, so driving in the UK is challenging for an Ex-Pat, we all know that.

You don't know what most of the traffic signs mean...roundabouts are stressful and using your left hand to shift gears takes some getting used to.

But being a passenger? ummmm....wow!

My honey finally arrived in England this month and she started picking up some of the driving responsibilities. If you think your perspective is odd while you are driving on the right side of the car, it's WAY worse when you are a passenger on the left side.

Alex is an excellent driver and she did most of the driving in the US. And I like to think that I am a very good passenger (defined as "limited"to "no" backseat driving). However, when I arrived to work one day this week, my colleague asked me if I was ok...she said I looked really bothered. The truth was that I was so tense that I needed a yoga class, a massage, a large glass of wine or all of the above. I'm bordering on an anxiety attack just thinking about it now.

So each day she drives...I try...I REALLY try to keep calm. I know I'm annoying....I know I'm not helping matters...I want to be supportive, but it's SO hard!

Any suggestions from my loyal followers?

2 comments:

  1. Do you think you feel that way because you are sitting in the drivers seat, but have no control? I think this is a job for distraction. Put on music you don't know that well, and try to learn the lyrics. Find all the blue cars you pass and count them. Learn how to crochet/knit, and do that while she drives. My suggestions are simply something else to concentrate on until you truly get used to driving on the other side of the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Bronowyn, it's partially a control thing and partially because my partner has run over the curb on two occasions. I'm not judging her...I swear! I tried closing my eyes the other day and that definitely helps. I also half jokingly suggested that I sit in the back seat yesterday.

    I'm hoping that I get used to it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete